Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Karl Miller wrote:

I wonder if the classical market is less suited to the download. No doubt,
economics will be, to a large part, the determining factor...but I
consider how classical discs have, from time to time, cost more. Plus I
look to the popularity of labels like Brilliant where collections of the
"complete" are popular...especially at what they charge.

I also think about the nature of classical music with its wide dynamic
range and the complexity of sound.

Any thoughts out there as to whether there might be a potential for the CD
staying with us a bit longer for classical music versus popular music?

The market for commercial classical CDs has no significant competition from downloading. The customer wants both superior sound and the packaging. There are exceptions, but I believe that that is generally true.

On the other hand there is an active market for live material, broadcasts, and recordings long out of print. In general, neither sound quality nor packaging offers any advantage comparable with the cost of the CD - even when that CD is an underground product from a label such as Gala. That business is likely to be destroyed by downloading, which appears to bother no one but those living on its proceeds.

Now if only the people uploading realized that an AM broadcast does not benefit from 48 Ksps, 320 Kbps MP3s in "stereo"... <G>

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/