[ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:

> There is a big difference between the mass market and the music market.
>
> Even as a teenager I appreciated the notes on the classical LPs I borrowed
> from the library and even researched composers and orchestras.
>
> However also as a teenager I taped the "Top 40" off the air and played the
> songs in the order they accumulated on the reel of my home tape recorder,
> without any interest in the context.

Which reminds me of a discussion I had over lunch on Saturday...

I wonder if the classical market is less suited to the download. No doubt,
economics will be, to a large part, the determining factor...but I
consider how classical discs have, from time to time, cost more. Plus I
look to the popularity of labels like Brilliant where collections of the
"complete" are popular...especially at what they charge.

I also think about the nature of classical music with its wide dynamic
range and the complexity of sound.

Any thoughts out there as to whether there might be a potential for the CD
staying with us a bit longer for classical music versus popular music?

Karl