Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound--real vs. recorded--was: discography of "direct-to-disk revival"?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On 23/09/06, steven c wrote:
>
> > It is also interesting to think about what we actually experience
> > at live performances, given all the unwanted noise that our brains
> > edit out...it would be an interesting experience to position a pair
> > of microphones in a simulation of an average audience seat, and
> > record EXACTLY the sound...unwanted and wanted...that that listener
> > would hear!
>
> I have a bootleg of a piano recital recorded by somebody in the audience
> which does just that.
>
> The audience noises are deafening compared to the piano. The perspective
> effect from the microphone may be greater than from ears (because the
> angle is wider), but probably it is the lack of surround that makes it
> hard to listen to.
>
> Unfortunately the performance (Grigory Sokolov) is such that one is
> compelled to listen.

Well, virtually all of my "live listening" experience has been in the
areas of traditional jazz, blues and rock music...where the audiences
are considerably less "well-behaved!" The one notable classical
performance I have attended (Vladimir Horowitz in Massey Hall, Toronto)
was in a room with notable acoustic qualities (as well as a much quieter
and more dignified audience...?!).

However, I made a number of recordings of my own blues band, using
a totally unsophisticated setup...two mikes)...and was always
surprised at the comparative levels of audience and (electrically
amplified) band...!