Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound--real vs. recorded--was: discography of "direct-to-disk revival"?

On 23/09/06, steven c wrote:

> It is also interesting to think about what we actually experience
> at live performances, given all the unwanted noise that our brains
> edit out...it would be an interesting experience to position a pair
> of microphones in a simulation of an average audience seat, and
> record EXACTLY the sound...unwanted and wanted...that that listener
> would hear!

I have a bootleg of a piano recital recorded by somebody in the audience
which does just that.

The audience noises are deafening compared to the piano. The perspective
effect from the microphone may be greater than from ears (because the
angle is wider), but probably it is the lack of surround that makes it
hard to listen to.

Unfortunately the performance (Grigory Sokolov) is such that one is
compelled to listen.

Regards
--
Don Cox