Re: [ARSCLIST] discography of "direct-to-disk revival"?

On 23/09/06, Tom Fine wrote:
> OK, no offense but anyone who hears "perfect sound" on 78 has tin
> ears! That medium is low-fidelity by any serious definition. The only
> reason I can see listening to a 78 is if the performance is so to your
> taste that you can imagine it sounding good -- because what's coming
> off those grooves ain't near sounding good!

Fairly high distortion, unbearably high noise levels, but often
single-microphone recordings, which makes the sound very easy for the
brain to interpret.

Get a first class engineer to transfer from a particularly clean copy,
using the right stylus and the right playing speed, and 78 era sound can
be more pleasant to listen to than most recent popular/rock recordings.

For an example of good transfers, take Doug Pomeroy's work on the "Fats
Waller Centennial" CD, or most of JRT Davies' transfers on the Frog
label.

This is how a musical archive should be preserved.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx