To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 1:08 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Perfect 78s (was: discography of "direct-to-disk revival"?)

Tom,

No offense taken... She wasn't Jane Russell, but my late grandmother looked
"perfect" to me. <grin>

Speaking of Jane Russell, just got to see her in "The French Line" in a 3-D
polarized, two-projector showing of an archival dye transfer technicolor
print. She made a personal appearance at the screening and both she and the
film presentation were close enough to perfect for me, all things
considered.

Same for the "Kiss Me Kate" showing in widescreen 3-D of the only known
surviving technicolor print with 3 channel stereophonic sound.

I have the 78 album, of course. Does anyone know if the stereo soundtrack
ever made it to lp or CD?

Many of the classic 50s era 3-D films had mag stereo and even surround
tracks, but the only multi-track sound elements known to survive are "Kiss
Me Kate" and "It Came From Outer Space."

For 78s, a clean Vivatonal played on modern equipment (or even on a
well-maintained orthophonic style windup) is pretty near perfection for me.

My ears are not tin... Maybe brass or bronze!

LeRoy