To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 4:14 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] discography of "direct-to-disk revival"?

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Tom, you wrote

OK, no offense but anyone who hears "perfect sound" on 78 has tin ears! That
medium is low-fidelity by any serious definition. The only reason I can see
listening to a 78 is if the performance is so to your taste that you can
imagine it sounding good -- because what's coming off those grooves ain't near
sounding good!

----- maybe you just did not get a chance to listen to some outstanding recordings. By that I mean recordings where the signal chain is so undistorted - non-linear as well as linear - that your ears will only have to deal with any gritty noise off the surface. You should realize that if your pickup cantilever and its support have undampened resonances that are excited by the impulsive character of the gritty noise, you have coloured noise added, and that is another layer of work. However, that is a reproduction problem, not inherent in the recording.

----- I have many recordings that fulfil that criterion, and some are vinyl,
in which the gritty noise is gone. A very few are metal mothers, and boy, do
they punch you physically by their presence of sound - but they need very
good loudspeakers.

I have an example:

Berlioz:
Damnation of Faust:
Hungarian March
Philharmonia Orchestra
cond. Rafael Kubelik
HMV C4031
Mx: 2EA14660-1 ca. 1950

that is very dynamic, broadband (you can hear a triangle sufficiently clearly
in the background), it has depth (something so very lacking in many modern
recordings) and a natural ambience. In fact this record even sounds good on
lesser equipment.

----- assisting to a demonstration of the ELP Laser Turntable in Boston in
2002 I had brought a shellac pressing and a vinyl pressing of a 1936
recording of cello and piano. Both were equally impressive on the good system
provided. You could say, "well, a cello is not a good test signal", but it
is. It is no use that the bow scrape you hear is just a tizz on the sound,
sort of added fuzzyness, it has to come alive - and it did.

----- I usually say "there is no such thing as a bad recording, only bad
reproduction", and to a surprising degree that holds through until the era of
tape editing.

Kind regards,

George

P.S. I have retained the subject line, although we have drifted