[ARSCLIST] More about ET preservation (was "Comparable collections anywhere?")

There are three things that affect the condition of ETs:

1.  temperature stability (which causes plasticizer to exude
    - this is not "binder extrusion" as stated below, but
    exuding plasticizer - which then causes the nitrocellulose
    laminate to shrink and eventually delaminate)
2.  moisture (which causes the ester bonds in the castor oil
    plasticizer to break down into palmitic and stearic acid
3.  acidity (which accelerates the formation of palmitic and
    stearic acid - this is an autocatalytic reaction which is
    hard to stop once started

Hence:

A.  Environmental control is super important (stable temp and
    relative humidity (RH))
B.  Storage in acid-free (base buffered) envelopes (sleeves)
    after cleaning

Although glass ETs tend to be in better condition because
glass is an insulator, and this helps stabilize the disc
against temperature fluctuations - more so than aluminum -
glass is also extremely fragile.

If the discs are starting to form palmitic acid (which is
an autocatalytic reaction), it needs to be removed and the
disc resleeved in an acid-free (base buffered) sleeve for
long-term storage.  Leaving palmitic acid on the discs
will cause imprinting to the disc surface (a kind of
roughness due to accelerated exuding of plasticizer and
hence laminate shrinkage beneath the palmitic acid) which
then shows up as noise in future transfers.

Handling of ETs is also critical.  Finger prints are acidic,
and I often find palmitic acid formations where there are
finger prints.  If the finger prints date from the 1940s
when the disc was originally played, after you remove the
palmitic acid you will actually see such indentations/
roughness in the shape of the finger print with perfect
detail - a permanent distortion to the disc surface.  You
can hear these finger prints as noise in the transfer.

I cannot emphasize enough that ETs should always be handled
with gloves.

Cleaning technique, fluids, and equipment are especially
important with ETs.  For example, supporting a 16-inch
disc edge-to-edge throughout the cleaning and transfer
process (especially with glass) minimizes any substrate
deflection, and hence minimizes laminate or substrate
cracking (glass).  I have special platters that I use to
handle glass ETs - I move them in a sandwich to absolutely
prevent the possibility of breakage.  These platters also
serve as supports for cleaning and playback, which further
minimizes handling of the ET.  These special platters also
help me work with broken discs - I can flip a re-assembled
disc without having to assemble all the pieces yet again.

Other subtleties include the fact that nitrocellulose can
expand (rather permanently) in the presence of water,
particularly where there are cracks in the laminate.  So
minimizing fluid contact time is important.  Yet, palmitic
and stearic acid can be removed best when the disc is
flooded in the rinsing process.  Therefore a vacuum cleaning
machine like a Keith Monks is essential (this is what we
use, with the "Nuk" mod).  When you have significant
palmitic acid or the acid has formed into crystals, multiple
cleaning passes are required, only making a fast-drying/
vacuuming process ever more essential.

ETs are a very sensitive medium - sensitive to storage,
handling, cleaning, and transfer.  They are the least
"archival" of the disc mediums (when compared to shellacs
and vinyl).  This is why archival triage puts ETs near the
very top of the preservation priority list, even ahead of
most other media, including most tape and wire.

Playback of ETs with delamination requires a well set-up
turntable (good antiskate settings especially) in order
to track through any cracks in the laminate.  Just the
tonearm that we use costs about $2k - but we can pretty
much play any disc in any condition, even broken discs
or discs with missing bits of laminate.

The good news with consumer ETs is that there was less
plasticizer in these, and hence less palmitic and stearic
acid issues.  I generally do NOT clean ETs on a cardboard
substrate.  At most, I'll spot clean if there is significant
contamination, or rapidly clean with only slight amounts of
moisture.

Another useful accessory when working with ETs is a 150-200x
microscope with a graduated reticle so that you can measure
the groove widths and assess condition (wear and quality of
cut).  This allows you to know in advance the amount of noise
to expect, and can help you select the right stylus size
quickly without having to play the disc several times using
trial-and-error stylus selection.  Just because Side A of an
ET uses a 2.5 mil stylus doesn't mean that Side B will also.
Recording engineers will sometimes make adjustments to the
cutting parameters between sides, and a microscope will
catch these changes.

Naturally, if your ET collection is pristine, then much of
the above issues become minor.  But most of the ETs that I
see have some mix of problems.

If you haven't guessed, ETs are one of our specialties...

Eric Jacobs
Principal

The Audio Archive
tel:408.221.2128