Re: [ARSCLIST] Comparable collections anywhere?

Do all lacquer discs flake and peel over time ? I have some from RCA, Columbia,and EMI,from the late 30s,and 40s,that are still as good as the day they were made.OTOH,I have seen cheaper home-recorded jobs,where most of the surface has flaked off.So some are more archivally stable than others.Does this have something to do with better quality materials,or the fact they were made at commercial pressing plants ?
   What is the oldest lacquer disc that anyone has come across that is still playable ?
                Roger Kulp

"Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: This sounds like an important collection.

Karl made a very important point about these perhaps being the best
version of the collection. However, some portion of the last ten
years of these _may_ have been mastered to tape and then transcribed
to disc for distribution.

While you can do a lot worse than pristine ET discs, it would be
interesting to know if the original master tapes survive in your
collection or in another collection. I wouldn't waste too much time
looking for that tapes as the ETs should be fairly close to the
tapes, but if a few hours cause the tapes to surface, then evaluating
the tape vs. the disc would be useful and transferring the one that
generally sounds better.

Neither tape nor lacquer disc is really archival, so one of these
should be transferred soon. The lacquer discs are probably the
priority even if tape is found.

Cheers,

Richard