Re: [ARSCLIST] Mellencamp

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi Robert:
>
> For me, this sums it up:
> "alas, so has the volume levels now that the distortion is mostly gone."
>
> I can't afford the hearing damage (or the ticket prices)!

Sadly, many (most?) rock, or remotely-rock-related, musicians seem to under
the impression that "louder=better!" This may be due to the fact that they
have managed to reduce their own hearing to the point that they now hear
125dB as "normal volume" (and no longer hear anything softer!).

Worse yet, consider what I hear from passing vehicles (etc.) the proper
volume at which to play recorded music is similar! In fact, I recently
noted in an audio ad that 8,000 watt(!) amplifiers are being sold! No
mention of where to find the 100-amp fuses for the mains circuit into
which they need to be plugged...

"Naw, I dunno...I just turned Led Zeppelin up to the volume I like, and
next thing I knew, all the lights in town went out..."