From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:55 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mellencamp

I haven't been to a large-venue live show since the mid-1990's. Has the
sound quality gotten better
with all this new technology? The reason I stopped going was if I didn't
use serious earplugs, I
knew I was breaking my hearing and if I did, the sound quality was
awful. I would think that in-ear
monitor setups would allow for better sound since that's one less place
to fight feedback?

My wife and I went to the Willie Nelson/Bob Dylan minor league ballpark
tour two summers ago.
Willie's show actually sounded great. We were seated down the 3rd base
side toward the outfield. The
stage was set up in the outfield with a self-contained sound system, not
using the stadium PA
system. Like I said, Willie was great. Dylan was so loud, so distorted
and so unintelligable that we
opted to save our ears and walked out.

-- Tom Fine