Re: [ARSCLIST] Underscore in file names

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Breneman" <david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx>
> Whitespace is considered a delineation between file
> names in any OS except Windoze.  It's terribly inconvenient
> to accommodate this Microsoft vanity in Unix or other
> OS'es, as it requires the file names to be placed in
> quotes wherever the files are referred to.

Actually, I have always thought of this particular "Microsoft
vanity" as an improvement! Back in my DOS days, I accidentally
created a file name which included a space...and discovered I
couldn't access it, open it or even delete it!

Turns out the workaround was to enter "xy?z.ext" for a file
inadvertantly named "xy z.ext"...since I had no other files
meeting the description of "xy(any character)z.ext" the
mal-named file was brought up, and I could give it a spaceless
file name.

Also, the underscore work-around comes directly from C/C++
programming...which DOESN'T allow spaces in identifiers, so
programmers have to use names like LAST_YEARS_RENT should
they want to use descriptive variable names!

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/
(also applies to dBASE field names, which also have to be a
maximum of ten characters long...)