Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

Mike, if you're looking for a more generic, less dramatized reading style, look for the unabridged versions of books done by folks like Recorded Books and Blackstone Audio. They often but not always go for a more "vanilla" style of production. The abridged versions are more a mainstream commercial product and can be quite "jazzed up" to be entertaining. None of this is hard/fast rules but merely general trends. I review a lot of audiobooks and I must say that many of them are not great as far as production and presentation. Many readers are mismatched to material and some readers should seek other work. None of this does right by good authors. And then there's the fact that many books that get recorded are just not well written to begin with.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: <Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

In a message dated 9/3/2006 10:10:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

By the way, back in today's world, the actors who seem to do best with
audiobooks are the ones who
do a lot of live theater. I wonder if they've picked up a skill of reading
ahead a few sentences as
they speak out from what's stored in their brain. Or is it just super-quick
eye-speech coordination?
*********************

In the 1960s I eavesdropped on the Library of Congress "Talking Book" service
for the blind that my father was receiving. These were recorded by
professional actors with a special effort to avoid expression and dramatization. The
experience was much more like reading than listening to a recitation.

This experience got me hooked on recorded books, but I was quite disappointed
with the commercially available audio books in comparison, let alone the
amateur readings on the "Reach Out Radio" services.

Are those LOC recordings still being used?  Is there any possibility that
they could be made available to the public sometime in the future?

Mike Csontos