Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

In a message dated 9/3/2006 10:10:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

By the way, back in today's world, the actors who seem to do best with
audiobooks are the ones who
do a lot of live theater. I wonder if they've picked up a skill of reading
ahead a few sentences as
they speak out from what's stored in their brain. Or is it just super-quick
eye-speech coordination?
*********************

In the 1960s I eavesdropped on the Library of Congress "Talking Book" service
for the blind that my father was receiving. These were recorded by
professional actors with a special effort to avoid expression and dramatization. The
experience was much more like reading than listening to a recitation.

This experience got me hooked on recorded books, but I was quite disappointed
with the commercially available audio books in comparison, let alone the
amateur readings on the "Reach Out Radio" services.

Are those LOC recordings still being used?  Is there any possibility that
they could be made available to the public sometime in the future?

Mike Csontos