Re: [ARSCLIST] Paper cuts – going all-digital still not popular [Re: Preservation ]

Sent this message to a filmmaker friend, and he returned with this:

“I would be surprised to see actual, legally binding documents maintained in purely electronic form,”

Fer sherr. The key issue is nonvolatility and tamper resistance. (Did someone say "voting machines?")

FYI, in the early days of filmmaking you could only copyright images on paper, so prints were struck on long rolls of paper. Unlike the cellulose nitrate film base of that era (which decomposes into an explosive powder) or the more recent cellulose acetate (which can decompose into vingear and something else) those paper prints are still like new. And now we've got the digital scanners that can restore those films to playablity. Friend of mine makes the scanners now used by the Library of Congress, which digitally register the frames (cuz there are no physical sprocketholes). Probably some of those films will be lasered out to film -- but mylar-based this time!

I never know about paper films - anyone here know more?

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689