Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

Unfortunately this is not correct. For several years, I professionally
tested both 4 mm and 8 mm helical scan tapes. The following observations
from that work are relevant.

1. The head(s) are mounted on a rapidly rotating drum, and do contact the
tape. They actually penetrate the transport plane causing local deformation
of the tape and abrasive wear.

2. Longevity testing involving 10-100 repeated passes over the same section
of the tape result in pileup at the end of the test section of material
abrasively removed from the tape.

3. Head clogs are prevalent wherein material abrasively removed from the
tape lodge in the head gap, and sometimes require replacement of the head or
the entire drive.

VHS technology is similar and would probably have issues similar to those
listed above.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.