Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloguing still :-)--was: Cataloguing again--ARSC responsibility?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> However, the level of research in a teaching-only institution can be
> confined to digging up already published information. By research, I
> meant digging out things that nobody knows now.

I understand the difference...and see now that I should have worded
my comment differently.

However, it remains debatable what the ideal balance between "research"
(in Don's usage above) and teaching should be! Both are vital functions...
but if "research" is considered more valuable than teaching (note that it
is usually much more profitable!) then our students (our "next generation")
will receive a second-rate education (which most of them won't realize!).

In all too many cases, the primary function of a university is to provide
"farm teams" for professional sports leagues...!?