Re: [ARSCLIST] Some advice on cassette decks?

Tom, Parker, all,

Thanks for the detailed responses.  They are very greatly appreciated,
particularly since it's my first time posting to the list after monitoring
it for the last year.

Regarding the content of my cassettes, it is all material related in one way
or another to politics (and given we're in Georgia, much of it is civil
rights related), and except for some dubs of campaign songs, it is all
spoken word.  The cassettes come from a variety of places, from the Georgia
General Assembly to home recordings to user dubs made by my archive in the
70s that in some cases are in better shape than the original reels, to oral
histories made in-house. There is a great variety.

I've been given a budget to create what I believe is a good signal path for
a digital transfer program that also includes reels.  From my analogue
sources I'll be balancing unbalanced signals through an impedance interface,
sending from there to a switcher, with one (variable) out to monitors and
one (fixed) to my A/D converter.  I plan to capture at 96/24 .wav, with a
three-tiered backup system that includes Mitsui Gold DVD (as a copy master),
external hard drive, and LTO tape.  Listening copies will be rendered to
gold cd directly following transfer.  This is what is viable within our
budget, and yes, all original tapes will be rehoused and cleaned as
necessary.  If you see any missing pieces, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks again,

Craig

Craig Breaden
Media Assets Archivist
Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies
Main Library
The University of Georgia
Athens, GA  30602-1641
706-542-5782 (phone)