Re: [ARSCLIST] Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Well put !

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Richter
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 10:05 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Steven Smolian wrote:
> Seems to me the theory of matched impedence comes into play here
> somewhere. What is the size of the wire attached to the connector on
> the inside of the box?
>
> Unknown.  Many of us the "it couldn't hurt" theory.  So do I.  I use
> heavy lamp wire for speaker connections.
>
> I expect cable length has more to do with it than thickness.  All
> other things being equal, I've found powered speakers sound better-
> more open- than the same speakers with external amplification.
>
> This is heresy.  None of the classic speakers were made that way and
> we all venerate age- of equipment.
>
> Steve Smolian

I have been using 10 gauge zip cord for decades, since I first heard a
shop selling junk speakers by hooking up AR3s with "speaker wire" for
comparison.

It's easy enough to calculate the impedance of any length of
standard-gauge wire. That yields the damping factor for speaker
resonances since it is almost always far more than the output impedance
of a modern amplifier. Said damping factor then goes into classic
expressions for the Q of the tuned circuit which is the electrical
aspect of a speaker.

In short, run a few feet of high-impedance wire to turn your
high-quality speakers into a boom box.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx