Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

On 26/08/06, Scott Phillips wrote:
> I agree completely. Just because you have a tool, it doesn't mean it
> is needed, or even non-destructive.
>
> I've just finished looking at a few popular recordings from the last
> few years in Sound Forge. The display indicates huge amounts of
> clipping... Not of the CD format, but in the mastering process at the
> very least. I can only assume that every possible digital tool was
> used to produce the loudest, most distorted sound possible. Horrible
> sounding stuff.

If they would all read "Mastering Audio" (Bob Katz) before starting
work, there would be less trouble.

However, some people do want loud, distorted sound for expressive
reasons, in the same way as some like to deliberately overload guitar
amps. (And trumpet mutes as used in jazz have a similar purpose.)

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx