 From: tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Sent: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 8:52 PM
 Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] WHY save as WAV's when Mp3's can do??? (was Podcasting of 78's)

  Hmmm, this is an interesting question. Are you at all handy with electronics? If so, your most direct route might be to find one of those Heath preamps on eBay. You'll need to build a power supply for it (or find a Lambda or comparable power supply). It's got a good choice of turnover and rolloff points.

 Plan B would be to use a ceramic cartridge into a line input.

 Plan C would be to try a mic preamp, but there might be an unfixable impedence mismatch.

 Ya know what I'd try -- If you have something like a Mackie or Soundcraft or even a Behringer mixer, take your phono + (tip of an RCA jack) and put it to pin 2 of a mic input. Take your cartridge - (sleeve of an RCA jack) and put it to pin 3. Take your ground wire from the phono and put it to pin 1, all on a mic input. See what you get. The op-amp mic input stage might be able to deal with cartridge impedence and the cartridge might see enough enough impedence to put out reasonable audio. You might need to load pins 2 and 3 with 47K ohms for the cartridge to function properly (I might be recalling the loading impedence for most magnetic cartridges incorrectly).

 In any case, I doubt that would hurt either the mixer or the cartridge and it might give you a simple solution.

 -- Tom Fine

 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sherwin Cerini" <fanofotr@xxxxxxx>