Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT tapes

DVD-Rs can be had for 30 cents apiece or less

For things like demos that don't need to survive into the next century, they are more than adequate

Joe Salerno
Industrial Video Services
PO Box 273405
Houston Texas 77277-3405

David Lennick wrote:
JPPiano@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/27/06 11:25:49 AM, dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Further to my question the other week about digital glitches in name brand
tapes, mostly Sony, here's something very ironic. There was a cheapo brand
in
the early 90s called DIC that wasn't around for long and which we were all
warned not to use. I'm transferring one now and it doesn't have a single
defect

I have used the DIC's for years (the MQ), and not only are they quite
reliable, they have less mechanical problems than most of the other brands,
especially Maxell, which has often been problematic in some of my dat machines. A few
years ago, one of my suppliers went out of business and sold me about 3000 of
them (mostly 48,30 and 15 min length, alas) for 25 cents each. I could have
bought about 20000, but didnt have the room to store them!

Joe P.

A couple of years ago I'd have bought 'em at that price! I always hated using a 2-hour dat for a 10-minute demo. Same situation applies with videotapes, which are now around a buck a pop for a full T120.

dl

http://www.eset.com