Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis?

I find a substantial difference between using the single mono centre speaker vs. the stereo image from my left and right speakers. While some of the difference is attributable to room geometry and layout, I think at least some of it is attributable to head geometry.

I have noticed this before in several different "lashups" and, most interestingly, I find my Ampex 2012 speaker amps to sound different in this way in a variety of configurations.

So, I monitor mono in mono and stereo in stereo.

When I do stereo monitoring and things are going well, I sometimes have to check to see that's what I'm doing as I can sense sound coming out of the centre speaker, even though its bar-graph is showing no signal going to it. So, I think the room is pretty good.

Cheers,

Richard
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/facility.htm