Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx>
> ----- yes, but many hearing aids act as compressors, which reduces the
> dynamic at the output to the ear. Modern hearing aids have individual
> compression in each frequency band, and the adjustment (both frequency
band
> and compression ratio) is individual to the person, dependent on their
> losses. So this would confuse the issue, but I would think reduce the
impact
> of the basic phenomenon.
>
> ----- while we are at hearing aids: if a frequency range has been lost,
> increasing amplification at that range would only aggravate that loss, so
> would recommend (and live by, when the time comes) only using the hearing
aid
> when it is needed for communication or survival.

As a hearing-aid wearer, what I would like to do is to combine existing
hearing-aid technology with a multi-band stereo equalizer (available in
"Walkman"-type portable players)...so I could adjust the frequency
response to conform to the setting in which I'm trying to hear! My
aids use a "one size fits all" approach to their frequency coverage,
which is more often than not totally INappropriate to the setting
in which I'm trying to hear...