Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

phillip holmes wrote:
Mike,
I've heard the same record. If I recall correctly, it's recorded "direct to disk" at 45rpm. I haven't heard a more dynamic record. The range, from soft to loud, is the greatest I've heard on any vinyl. However, I don't think it's ALL because it's 45rpm and direct to disk (that's just cream and a cherry on top). The mastering chain was top notch, the mastering engineer knew that this was for the audiophile crowd with top quality cartridges and tonearms, there was no limiting or compression (that I can hear), the microphone placement and type produced "spectacular sound" and it was pressed on the best vinyl compound ever made. My favorite of the direct disk stuff is Harry James' "The King James Version". Do you have that one? Phillip

Yes and Yes - that's the one and I have "The King James Version" and a batch of other Sheffield direct-to-disc LPs. When possible, I have a sealed copy to go with the one I play, sometimes two I play (one routinely, the other to test for losses on the first). If you don't know "The Drum Record", you should.

Note that the other key factor is the modified microphones.

Unfortunately, Sheffield didn't quite get the orchestra setup right on the two classical recordings, but Lincoln Majorga and crew hit it dead on in the jazz, big band and otherwise. There's a great Thelma Houston disc as well.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/