Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcos Sueiro Bal" <mls2137@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I have noticed that when recommending sound cards for podcasting 78s, some
> on the list have not chosen top-of-the-line models with the assumption
that
> the sound quality of 78s is inherently inferior to that, of, say, LPs.
That
> seems generally to be the case, but I do remember once hearing a pristine
78
> RPM acetate of a live jazz recording that blew me away --the sound was big
> and detailed, clean, and also quite louder than the average LP.
>
> My question is: is the 78 "system" inherently an inferior product? I do
not
> know enough about it, but it seems to me that it is moving faster and the
> grooves are wider, so, potentially at least, it could sound better than
33s
> (stereo notwithstanding). Or could it?

First...you are correct in assuming that disc recordings improve in accuracy
as the recording speed increases. In fact, I have a c.1968 experimental/
promotional recording (one side stereo!) recorded at 78rpm for this reason.

However, commercial "78's" were recorded from c.1889 to 1960...and during
the vast majority of that period were far from "high fidelity!" Actually
electrical recording wasn't introduced until the twenties...and wasn't
perfected until a number of years thereafter. The first 78rpm records
that approached "high fidelity" were the Decca(UK)/London "ffrr" discs
that appeared after WWII, using technology originally intended for use
in SONAR systems!

Next question?!