Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

I no longer work at the library where I heard that acetate, but I do wish I
had transferred it to CD. Of course, it was one of those with no labeling
whatsoever: no date, perforrmer, nothing. But it was clearly a live
recording, and extremely lifelike. If I had to guess, I would say it was a
direct transfer to disc from analogue tape.

I wonder if part of what I liked about it is that at higher speeds,
presumably, wow and flutter become less apparent. Which is perhaps why I
still like 30 IPS better than 15 (I know some people like bass response at
15 IPS better).

Tom, I agree with you about the current quality of most recordings --and
indeed one of my favourite recordings of all time is the Living Presence CD
of your parents' Mozart Prague Symphony with Kubelik from 1953[?]. It has
just one mic: but to me, fewer mics often translate the room better, even in
mono. From the other side of the musical spectrum, one of my favourite rock
recordings is a 12" 45 by the Alarm, Austrian or German pressing, early
1980s. And boy is it loud (but dynamic!).

Steve, I will have to listen for brass in stereo versus mono, but I feel
like I agree; I wonder if the attack of the brass somehow gets smeared when
picked up by more than one mic (which brings up the perverse question: does
a mono recording of a brass blast have more "impact" than the actual live
experience?).

Marcos