To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 9:05 AM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

I have noticed that when recommending sound cards for podcasting 78s, some
on the list have not chosen top-of-the-line models with the assumption that
the sound quality of 78s is inherently inferior to that, of, say, LPs. That
seems generally to be the case, but I do remember once hearing a pristine 78
RPM acetate of a live jazz recording that blew me away --the sound was big
and detailed, clean, and also quite louder than the average LP.

My question is: is the 78 "system" inherently an inferior product? I do not
know enough about it, but it seems to me that it is moving faster and the
grooves are wider, so, potentially at least, it could sound better than 33s
(stereo notwithstanding). Or could it?

Marcos

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.6/427 - Release Date: 8/24/2006