Re: [ARSCLIST] Podcasting--explained a bit...

--- steven c <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) I can think about converting 78 sound to .wav files...but not
> until I can
> afford a new(ish) computer...mainly one with a couple of 500GB hard
> drives
> for archival storage! Curently, I'm working with a single 80GB
> drive (which
> is actually 1.3 KILOtimes larger than my first 286 machine's 65MB,
> $400+
> drive!) and that would fill up rapidly with .wav files of any
> quality.

44 kHz wav files consume about 10 megabytes per minute, so you
should have plenty of space on a drive that size to create
a 1-hour "show" as wav files, edit the whole thing together,
then mp3-ize it for distribution.  You're only talking about
1-1/2 gigabytes allowing for the duplication of the pre-
and post-edited wav files.  Surely with an 80 gig drive
you have that much room!  Jeez Louise, I remember running an
entire wholesale hardware company (Tacoma Screw Products)
in the early 80s on a machine with 1.2 gigabytes of disk
space and four megabytes of memory.  That's what about
$70,000 bought back then.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx