[ARSCLIST] Backward turntables?

Bob Hodge wrote:

>Whenever a disc is played in reverse, as in the case of a stamper, the
>tonearm tracking angle and offset must be the inverse of the offset used
>for playing a completed record.

I am confused but fascinated...

Are we trying to play a stamper here?  Are not the grooves inverse on a
stamper as well?  How is this process working, exactly?

>The very accurate speed control of the
>Sp 15 is a very desirable function to have as well. I use mine very
>frequently even though I have that function on my computer
>workstation.

I have never located a piece of analogue audio gear that was more accurate
(or anywhere near as accurate) in the time domain than a decent piece of
digital gear.  We're talking orders of magnitude more accuracy with
digital systems.  I must really be missing the idea of what is being
attempted here.  I'd love to be set straight because I clearly have a very
inaccurate and humorous picture in my mind.

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet