Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, steven c wrote:
>
> > Finally, I don't "publish and speak widely" (wish I did) and
> > the sad reality is that I doubt if much institutional interest
> > exists in my half-vast shellac archive! Now, were it only films...
>
> Based upon my own experience at our "institution," they aren't interested
> in your shellac, nor would they be interested if it was a collection of
> films. We disposed of our film collection some years ago. Fortunately,
> some other libraries (not as brain dead as ours) took some of the films.

I was just commenting in the fact that, overall, there seems to be a lot
more interest in vintage films than vintage phonograph records!

Actually, what we need is for a single institutional library to decide
to designate themselves as the home of the "official" collection of
78rpm phonorecords...and then set out to acquire one of each one that
is still in existence! Were it not for the fact that I will be long
since defunct if/when this ever should occur (what worries me is the
definite possibility, given current world events, that we ALL will be?!)
I'd volunteer to do the cataloguing and discographic research for that
highly theoretical institute...