Re: [ARSCLIST] NASA

At 05:45 PM 8/15/2006, David Breneman wrote:

The moon walk was broadcast live.  The signal from the moon
was 320 lines, progressive scan, 10 frames per second. *Not*
high resolution by any standard (newer than 1934) but a
higher resolution than was seen by anybody except the
technicians at the three Deep Space Tracking Network
stations.  The conversion process (shooting a long-
persistence monitor with an NTSC video camera) produced
a lot of smearing and reduced the contrast range
significantly, so the already low-res picture was
even lower-res by the time anyone (except those few
engineers) saw it.  The reason it was sent as a slow
scan signal was because there wasn't enough bandwidth
to reliably transmit the necessary instrument
telemetry and an NTSC television signal on the
bandwidth available.

Apparently this is getting wide coverage. My wife saw it on our local Toronto news channel as we got home from vacation tonight.

The challenge will be WHEN the tapes are found what can be done with them. NASA has to close the lab that can still play the tapes. People within the Gov't have their hands out to hold onto this gear.

Lots of people can play 14-track IRIG tapes (which these are). I think these ran at 120 or 240 in/s - the PDF says, IIRC.

So, if the tapes are at all playable -- and I suspect they are -- the signals can be recovered. The next step is demodulating them in such a way that we can get them reliably into rasters. Then the rasters have to be replicated and played out. So 10 fps, would be actually played at 9.99 or something like that to get up to the 29.97 rate of NTSC.

The easiest (but not the best) thing would be to triple each frame. The best thing would be to do motion interpolation between "key" frames as broadcast and then create the intermediate frames based on linear (if nothing better) interpolation of moving objects' positions.

The 320 line detail is all we'll get, but it should be much better than the CRT standards conversion done in 1969.

The still photos are much higher resolution (Hassleblad and Nikon cameras were used in that era of NASA, IIRC).

I am in no rush to set up for 14-track 1" IRIG but it is on my radar screen. I successfully completed my first FM 7-track 1/2-inch IRIG transfer of seismic data. It was a real learning experience. The client had searched for months for someone to do this and he was very complimentary in telling others of my work.

I think the big problem here is FINDING the tapes. I think many people could handle them. I would love to, but I suspect that someone in the DC area could probably do it.

One concern is the jitter. The Ampex machines had a very interesting low-jitter tape path while most instrumentation recorders look more like audio tape players and don't have the time base accuracy of the Ampex machines originally used for the recording. On the other hand, I suspect that the slow-scan video doesn't need something like 10 ps time base accuracy.

Cheers,

Richard