Re: [ARSCLIST] RCA Metal Parts in Camden.

Nitrate can do a pretty good job of self destructing.

One hot summer when I was working at the Desilu Culver studio (the old Selnick) as a beginning apprentice editor, I and another apprentice were assigned the task of clearing out some of the film vaults located on the back lot. It turned out that the vaults were full of 35 mm nitrate that had started to turn bad (i.e., go liquid and powdery). Fortunately, were given some face masks to help breathe in the dusty interiors. We would take the film out of the vaults and put it in big open drums for carting away by a salvage company.

On a particularly hot Friday, we closed up the vaults and went home. On the following Monday, we were taken off the project. The vault we had been working had blown up!!! There's nothing like Sho Biz, but we could have ended up as famous stars in a final production.

Rod Stephens

Robert Hodge wrote:

A True Story Of Similar Tone...

A film starlet whose name escapes me presently had borrowed a 35 mm
nitrate print of one of her films from the studio to show at one of her
parties and when she was through with it, threw the whole print in the ocean..

That print was the only surviving print left of that title.

Amazing.....

R.Hodge

pattac@xxxxxxxx 8/15/2006 11:44 AM >>>

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

----- why on earth would anyone bury metal (copper, silvered copper,
and nickel) when it can be sold as scrap? Defacing beforehand would ensure

against misuse. EMI in the UK had several purges, but only of duplicate

material.

----- a slightly different rumor has it that after Kirsten Flagstad
dumped a number of her early records (and test pressings) in the Oslo Fjord,
someone tried to raise the wreckage again.

All very urban.

Kind regards,

George