Re: [ARSCLIST] To bake or not to bake?

Most tapes that exhibit SSS, even if not severe, will stick to fingers if you try to pass a few inches between your fingertips. Some may have reservations about getting oils on the tape, but it's usually a quick and easy way to assess a tape's condition. Un-sticky tape will glide easily.

Joe Salerno
Industrial Video Services
PO Box 273405
Houston Texas 77277-3405

Robert Hodge wrote:
I did a little test on some new old stock 226 last week.

The tape was still on a core. I held the core vertically after removing
the hold down tape, allowing the end to fall free. After a couple of
turns came off while turning the hub, there came a time when the weight
of the free end would no longer pull off another turn. In fact the tape would reverse itself on the pack continuing to take
itself back up in reverse.
Puting the pack on a machine and shuttling it between the pack and a
reel caused the exhuded binder to adhere to the heads and guides of an
Ampex 350 head nest. I would consider this to possibly be a reasonable initial test for SSS
without having to put the reel on a machine and see what comes off on
the guides or heads.
The test was repeated with four other hubs of the same stock with the
same results.

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge, Senior Engineer Belfer Audio Archive Syracuse University 222 Waverly Ave . Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx 8/14/2006 12:47 PM >>>