Re: [ARSCLIST] help needed regarding sputnik documentary

David Breneman wrote:
One of our Seattle stations, KING-TV, sent a camera outside,
fitted with the long reflector telephoto they'd built to air
the hydro races, to broadcast an image of Sputnik crossing
overhead.  I saw a recording of this long ago on, I believe,
an anniversary special for the station.  As I recall, the
sky was typically overcast and they didn't see the satellite,
but the attempt was a good example of how newsworthy it was.

A long telephoto was very much the wrong answer, I'm afraid. My vantage for both Sputnik I and II was the observatory atop the math building at U. of Chicago. In neither case could we use the modest-power telescope to advantage since the coordinates of the crossing were too uncertain. (Not that some didn't try.)

Some thought they sighted Sputnik I, but I'm convinced it was wishful seeing. Sputnik II was no problem: larger, brighter and a better transit on a clearer night. However, as I said, the telescope never did catch it. I did not think until later that it might have registered on a streak camera - moderate field and time exposure.

An aside:

A group of editors of Russian student magazines was touring the U.S. a few months later while the Navy was dropping Vanguards into the ocean. Half a dozen or so were staying in the fraternity house and meals became awkward - especially for us physics students - when the headlines were screaming: Another U.S. rocket dunked.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/