From: David Lennick [mailto:dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:24 PM
Subject: 3M 996

Here's a tape I don't think I've seen discussed here, 3M's 996. Was this
their
last gasp at analog tape for professional use? I have a few reels of the
stuff,
and I just ran one through my fingers to check for sticky shed....it
doesn't
stick or squeal (although the inside hub feels tacky, for some reason)
but holy
mackerel does that stuff leave your fingers (and presumably your heads)
black!
It sheds, but from the back coated side.

dl