[ARSCLIST] WALKIE-RECORDALL {Re: [ARSCLIST] Beginner's question RE: digital recordings}

In a message dated 8/4/2006 1:57:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rjhodge@xxxxxxx
writes:
You're right in that they don't turn up very often. Besides yours,
Steves and mine are the only other examples I've seen. I've never
undertook a restoration of mine although it came with one band.

Bob Hodge
**************************

I have one in good working condition and a supply of sonobands and so does
another AWA member nearby. One was up for auction on Ebay a while ago.
(http://cgi.ebay.com/WALKIE-RECORDALL-VINTAGE-WIRE-TAPPER-RECORDER-MILES-CO_W0QQitemZ150
016426193QQihZ005QQcategoryZ395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

When I got it I thought it was practically unique, but according to the Ebay
listing they were relatively widely used. Mine is like the one pictured in the
Field Museum site; the one on Ebay is apparently much older.

The unit has a very wide range gain and tone controls which supposedly were
designed to enhance speech recording. While intelligibility can be good, it
certainly isn't high fidelity and there is considerable surface noise if you try
to extend the bandwidth.

When were they first available and how widely were they actually used?

Mike Csontos