Re: [ARSCLIST] 2 GB file limit

At 04:59 PM 8/3/2006, Konrad Strauss wrote:
We are in the midst of switching from CD to workstations for our live
concert archival recordings. The resulting audio files will be stored on the
university's mass storage system.

But we are running smack up against the 2 gig file
limit for Wav files which gives us only about 57 minutes of interleaved
stereo at 24/96.

Samplitude records WAV files, has a BWF editor and ignores the 2 GB limit IN THE SENSE THAT you continue recording. However, it generates additional files with extensions W01, W02, etc which must be stored along with the original WAV file and re-assembled in Samplitude. These files appear to be raw files with no headers, as they do not behave like WAV files in other programs.

I'm mentioning this not as a solution but to be careful about what any program is really doing as I believe the limit of 2 GB is in the WAV file format, not the software, although I'll admit to not researching this in depth and defer to others if they have researched it.

It is imperative to fully understand what each SW package is doing and how they are working around this limit. I don't have a great suggestion for this, just this caveat.

Cheers,

Richard