Re: [ARSCLIST] Thin tape decay

At 04:29 PM 8/2/2006, Dnjchi@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/2/2006 2:55:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

In  Windows, you write µ [mu]  as ALT-0181. or,
conversely, you can call  µm's micro metres or microns.

Excuse my being a novice computer-wise, but how do I find this symbol for mu on my keyboard?

Don, it's as I stated. If you are using a Windows machine, hold down the ALT key, and with the numeric keypad in Num-Lock mode, type 0-1-8-1 on the numeric keypad. Then release the ALT key.

There are probably other ways as well, but this works on almost all Windows machines. On my laptop, I need to hold down Fn Alt and then use the embedded numeric keypad that's inside the regular letters.

Danny, I'm sorry, I didn't go look who said "mm" and that is annoying that paste broke it. I think my mu's are coming through at least in Don's response it did.

And, I think it's easy to think of four tape classes:

18, 26, 35, and 50 µm in overall thickness, being, triple, double, long, and standard play, respectively. I haven't looked at the IASA TC-04 recently. The confusion, of course, is that in North America, we've generally referred to base-film thickness of 0.5, 0.5, 1, and 1.5 mils, respectively. The BASF tapes did not all use the same base-film thickness for 18 and 26 µm tapes.

My roll of 3M 200 played a few months ago (yes, that's roll) without any problems. I bought it before November 1963 as it has lots of radio coverage of Kennedy's funeral on it. I have some later 3M 290 that's blank that someone gave me. I haven't seen what condition it's in. It's in the black and white box.

Cheers,

Richard