Re: [ARSCLIST] Thin tape decay

Hello, Marcos,

I think that there are no specific ratios that are useful for determining the degradation rate of magnetic media. My research of the literature and the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that original manufacturing formulation and anomalies as well as storage conditions over its life can affect the tape more than its thickness.

I also think that it's futile to try and save any tape for 100 years, but rather we should focus on saving the content. The more I read about even PET base films and especially polyester-polyurethane binders the more concerned I become about century-plus "shelf storage" of analog magnetic tapes.

While a need to prioritize preservation reformatting (aka "copying") of magnetic media is important, I do not think it is an exact science. In general, I would start with tapes with known degradation symptoms, and do the oldest to the newest.

Following standard storage procedures should hopefully preserve the tapes long enough to get them copied.

I would transfer acetate tapes before PET tapes based on base film, but I would prioritize polyester-polyurethane binder systems, especially those that I have listed on my website (look under the tape aging subject heading in the TIPS and NOTES Blog section).

And, yes, I would transfer 18 µm thick tapes before 50 µm thick tapes. The thinnest tapes (18 and 26 µm nominal) do have a habit of pinning or blocking, but that may not be related to their thinness.

To the person who wrote mm, please note it's µm not mm. Also, as you know when measured in µm the implication is that it is the total thickness of the tape, while the mil measurement implies a base film thickness. The two references that I provided earlier today at www.aes.org/aeshc/ give detailed information for the thicknesses of each layer for open-reel audio tapes.

In Windows, you write µ [mu] as ALT-0181. or, conversely, you can call µm's micro metres or microns.

Cheers,

Richard