Re: [ARSCLIST] Scotch 200 box photograph -Del's Response

We got our first tape recorder in 1950, and Scotch was the only brand of tape I saw till 1953 when my
dad discovered he could buy AudioTape for about 20 cents less a reel. My aunt had bought a recorder in
1949. So the earliest tape boxes I saw were yellow with brown print and an illustration of half a reel
of tape on the front, but there were also some reels supplied in plain white boxes with a tartan design
on the front and only incidental reference to the fact that magnetic tape was in that box. Ahh..good old
black oxide 100-B, I can smell it now..

By the way, a few years ago I was given two reels to transfer, containing the 1948 and 1949 Oscar
ceremonies. Both were 10-inch reels of Scotch 111. The 1948 reel was in perfect condition. The 1949 tape
was so twisty and out of shape that it had filled the take-up reel before I'd played half of it.

dl