Re: [ARSCLIST] Scotch 200 box photograph -Del's Response

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lou Judson" <loujudson@xxxxxxx>
> I'm sure I have a copy of one of those boxes deep in my archive, but
> would love to see it online. I did some googling and found a
> fascinating history of 3M, including a pdf of in-depth highlights of
> their history. Quite interesting for a few minutes exploration:

Well, the "Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company" arose in the
Duluth area after folks began to wonder if "all them red rocks" were
in any way valuable (being high-grade iron ore, they were!"). The
firm. which evolved (logically enough) into "3M," began fooling
around with tape...including an early attempt at masking tape
with no "stickem" in the centre...which prompted a response of
"What are your Scotch bosses up to with this stuff?!" which
gave the infant firm a brand name!

Later, they figured out how to combine iron oxide (which was
all over the dommed place) with plastic "stickem-less" tape...

usw.