Re: [ARSCLIST] bargain du jour/ blues you can use

In reference to Steven C. Barr below:
>.........As well, remember that
>it was called the "*British* Blues Invasion," so it referred to
>British musicians...and I would guess that their blues-album selection
>of the late fifties/early sixties was, if anything, worse. Of course,
>the most interested of the US musicians could, and did, collect the
>original 78's (notably the brothers Hite)...but the only evidence I
>have that blues could be had "across the pond" is one Muddy Waters
>78 I own on the UK Vogue label (originally on Chess).

While they might have been easier to get here, they did import a lot of music to the UK in the 19050's and 60's.The 45's and LP's that made it there were well played and coveted and examined and the styles copied.  Many americans heard american blues first as cover songs played by british rock musiccians. Many soul and R&B acts had national hits in the UK for songs that were only regional hits at best in the US. It is well known that many american blues and soul acts were better known and recieved in the UK than in their own country. This is still the case today somewhat, for blues and soul musicians, and also for some rock acts as well.. And the UK collectors are still paying the highest dollar for rare soul and motown 45s.

Robert Wasserman
Robert.Wasserman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sound Archives Proj. Asst./Lead Tech.
Wisconsin Historical Society