Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] EMI-Columbia split, was Mercury co-founder Ir...

Makes sense to me.All I know,is they are superior to the home recordings people had at the time,eg Audiodisc.They look and sound professionally produced.
Roger Kulp

Don Tait <Dontaitchicago@xxxxxxx> wrote:   My apologies for being so late with this reply. I am trying to catch up.

  Roger, not long after Beecham's death a two-record LP set was issued in the
UK and USA (the latter on Angel) that was called "A Beecham Memorial." I
didn't buy it because it consisted of short pieces or snippets from longer ones,
all from commercial recordings, all of which I owned complete or in their
original state. My memory might be faulty after 44 years, but the LPO 78 of the
Figaro overture might have been included. The set was separate from Beecham's
second RPO Heldenleben, which was a new release and also a memorial issue.

  The lacquer(s) you own of the Kajanus Sibelius 3 must be someone's
transfers of the HMV/Victor 78s.

  Don Tait
   Allow me to pick another nit here.The only Beecham memorial,on Capitol proper, that I am aware of,is the "Heldenleben",with the "gravestone" cover. (Only the early Columbias can be called "tombstones".)The Figaro overture,is from the box set issued on Angel.Great recording,BTW.
    BTW,the Kajanas lacquer I own,is the Sibelius # 3,with the LSO.This is on Victor.My 78 sets from the same era,are UK EMI/Columbia.
        Roger Kulp

David Lennick  wrote:
  Don Tait wrote:

> Yes, the Capitol "G" series was HMV-derived material: was the Beecham
> Figaro overture in Capitol's release of the "Beecham Memorial" set? His last
> recording of it was with the LPO in the thirties.

Could be my faulty memory..definitely a Capitol G- issue and a modern recording, but probably not Beecham in that case. The misprint definitely occurred though (probably only on the Canadian issue).

dl