Re: [ARSCLIST] Community Radio

On 18/07/06, phillip holmes wrote:
> Thanks for recommending this. Great sound on this. But why? These
> digital things are puzzling to me. Same computer, file and sound card,
> but totally different quality.
> Phillip (always thinking in analog) ----- > Encoding can have an
> impact even if a small one. I actually prefer the
>> LAME encoder to BLADE when delivering MP3s. As far as Decoding, I
>> hear a difference there too. I really love Telos Systems AudioActive
>> MP3 Player and StreamPlayer. Both are extremely simple. None of the
>> bells and whistle you'll find on others. Just a very nice sound.

MP3 encoding algorithms involve trade-offs. Some are optimised for
speed, others for sound quality.

Some are optimised to give the best possible results at low bit rates.
Others are for high quality at high bit rates.

Googling "MP3 encoding quality" will bring up lots of information.

It is much better not to use lossy compression at all, ever.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx