From: "Roger and Allison Kulp"
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Community Radio

> I would loooove to !!!
>   However,most community radio stations,have an established group of on
air "talent", who are loath to give up thier time slots.As I said;they have
thier own little onair fiefdoms,and don't take kindly to intruding
interlopers.They are embedded,and will be until they drop dead.This is even
true of overnight freeform,where you have a revolving group of people,who
have thier own night,and refuse to give it up.Have I tried to volunteer ?
Yes. Am I bitter about it ? YOU BET I AM !!!
>     Which is why I say screw it,and want to go on the web.
>        Roger Kulp
> Jim Baldwin  wrote:
>   > >
> > Is there
> > anyone else on this list who volunteers on community radio?
>
> I live in NH and one day in '04 I was in a store in Brattleboro, VT
> and heard jazz from a radio. It grabbed my attention and I learned that
> the music was coming from their local community radio station, rfb
> (Radio Free Brattleboro.) This was unlicensed and had years of a
> running battle with the FCC.
>
> I got involved with the group and in the fall I was on the air two hours a
> week playing my 1920s dance music and jazz along with comedy and
> nostalgia. What a wonderful experience until the FCC closed the
> operation in June, '05.
>
> I then transferred my show up the river to Bellows Falls, VT where a
> group had a license and started broadcasting in June, '05. We just
> celebrated our first year. We are at www.wool.fm on the internet. My
> show is called "jimmiejazz" airing 1-3 PM Thursdays, Eastern. This
> week I'm playing the complete Five Birmingham Babies who started
> recording in July, 1924.
>
> The internet is such an amazing thing. I've received mail from Australia,
> Germany and Holland.
>
> Some of my archived shows are at www.dgarrick.com . The site also
> links to Rich Conaty's excellent programming.
>
> Jim Baldwin

> See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.

Groups are talking. We?re listening. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo! Groups.