Re: [ARSCLIST] Community Radio

Tom Fine wrote:
I wasn't talking about internet-only at all. I was talking about using modern technology to make equipment investment minimal.

Sorry. It was brought up. I thought I'd share what I knew about it.

Net-only is very easy, just do a podcast. But, as I've said before, beware of ASCAP/BMI rules.And, even if you load up a podcast file of
192K MP3 (which becomes a rather large file when you get up to 30-60 minutes), the quality is still sub-par from a good-quality FM broadcast (but better than over-processed headache inducing garbage found on most FM frequencies in most places today).

I don't buy into any thing that starts with "pod". An MP3 file is an MP3 file. It is the encoder that can make the difference.
I would urge you to take a listen to SAW radio. It really sounds very good. http://www.sawstudio-media.com/radio/radio.htm

The thing that interested me about community radio is that it would be nice to have a real-deal FM-quality signal (albeit low power with limited range) with something aside from what Evergreen and Clearchannel decide is good content. I'd also love to open it up to some of the local high school kids and older folks who are into music -- see if exposure to different tastes and styles broadens everyone involved.

I couldn't agree more. But as you pointed out it is a pain. And as I remember it takes forever for FCC approval. I won't even go into how expensive it would be. If you have unlimited funds, it is a great idea. I'd rather advertise an internet-only station.

I had never heard the term "community radio" until I moved out here to Colorado and got involved with a theatre group that started producing a weekly radio drama.

Where I grew up a "College" radio station was a station run by the college (that's were the money came from) for and by students of that college. A "Public" station was an NPR affiliate which paid its staff. A "Community" station is all volunteer and lots of fund raising. In some cases, the programming leaves a lot to be desired and sound quality ... there are no standards for some. I'm not a big fan. But then again my experience with it was not that great.

Here is something else you might consider. When I was in radio, a couple stations I worked for would sell hour and 1/2 hour blocks of time on weekend afternoon and evenings. We had a guy who bought most of Sunday afternoon for a Spanish show (extremely popular). And another who did a motorcycle call-in program in the evening. They both sold time for their own show to help pay for the time.

Our high school radio show was done live at another station I worked for (I worked there while in high school) which donated the time. In this case, the station used it as part of thiner public service requirement. I don't know if that is still a regulation or not.

These were the days before station conglomerates, but you can still find locally owned stations across the country that do this. I heard about a guy recently that is buying time for his show at a local station. Much cheaper than starting your own radio station, community or otherwise.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Arvada, CO
www.avocadoproductions.com