Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes now Mercury/Eastman/American Music

>From answers.com
  http://www.answers.com/topic/louisville-orchestra-classical-musician
  comes "Whitney and Louisville mayor Charles P. Farnsley envisioned an innovative change of direction in the orchestra's policies designed to distinguish the orchestra and to eliminate the deficit. The expensive guest soloists would have to go. In their place, the orchestra's programs would include new works commissioned by the orchestra. The first such premiere was Spanish composer Joaquin Rodrigo's Quatro Madrigales Amatorios, played in the orchestra's home at the time, Columbia Auditorium. Some of the Louisville-commissioned recordings appeared on such major labels as Columbia and Mercury. In fact, the Louisville Orchestra's performance of William Schuman's ballet Judith was the first domestic orchestral recording made and released by Mercury. In technique and sound this rare recording shows a developmental stage of the label's famed "Living Presence" sound. In 1953 the commissioning series was given financial support by a major grant from the Rockefeller Foundation to
 record all the newly commissioned works and release them on the orchestra's own record label, known as First Edition Records. Over the years, the label has released hundreds of recordings of works by over 250 composers

Karl Miller <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   And the Piston 3rd Symphony with Hanson, music of Triggs, Gould,
Taylor, Keller, Barlow, Cowell, Hovhaness, Donovan, Porter, LoPresti, etc.
plus the mono Wind Ensemble recordings, music of Piston, Schuman, Mennin, etc. and
the stuff they did for other labels...Hanson's piano concerto w. Firkusny

And other Mercury things like the Copland Third w. Dorati...which, along
with the Szell broadcast, one of my favorite Copland recordings.

Which reminds me of a question...Mercury released a disc of the music of
William Schuman MG 10088. It featured Judith and Undertow. Does anyone
know if that version of Judith was the same as the one released on the
Louisville label? Also, does anyone know the history of that one
Louisville Orchestra recording on Mercury?

There was at least one disc, Hanson's Centennial Ode, issued by
Eastman...

I would love to reissue all of those wonderful recordings...anyone know a
contact? It would seem that a set of these things, perhaps with some
Hanson interviews, and recollections of others would be a wonderful
project...sure to lose money, but that's why I made my label a non-profit.

Karl