To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:09 AM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes now Mercury/Eastman/American Music

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, David Lewis wrote:

Well, I may represent the "limited interest" faction, but I was certainly
waiting to see certain Hanson recordings come along - mainly Griffes' Kubla
Khan, the Loeffler and Sessions' "Black Maskers." To this day, I keep a reel
tape version on hand of "Maskers" just so if I want to program it on my
radio show, I can make a transfer. I would have thought these things,
although monaurally recorded, considerable to make the "cut," but umusic, I
guess, knows better than me, a mere consumer and (god forbid!) critic.

And the Piston 3rd Symphony with Hanson, music of Triggs, Gould, Taylor, Keller, Barlow, Cowell, Hovhaness, Donovan, Porter, LoPresti, etc. plus the mono Wind Ensemble recordings, music of Piston, Schuman, Mennin, etc. and the stuff they did for other labels...Hanson's piano concerto w. Firkusny

And other Mercury things like the Copland Third w. Dorati...which, along
with the Szell broadcast, one of my favorite Copland recordings.

Which reminds me of a question...Mercury released a disc of the music of
William Schuman MG 10088. It featured Judith and Undertow. Does anyone
know if that version of Judith was the same as the one released on the
Louisville label? Also, does anyone know the history of that one
Louisville Orchestra recording on Mercury?

There was at least one disc, Hanson's Centennial Ode, issued by
Eastman...

I would love to reissue all of those wonderful recordings...anyone know a
contact? It would seem that a set of these things, perhaps with some
Hanson interviews, and recollections of others would be a wonderful
project...sure to lose money, but that's why I made my label a non-profit.

Karl