Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

I don't think that perpetual copyright is a bad thing if something were implemented like you suggest. Otherwise, I'm afraid that we could see works disappear completely. Kind of like a "tragedy of the commons" where everyone uses a natural resource but neglect the upkeep. It's the denial of access that's definitely wrong. The artists didn't produce their product for some moronic imbecile to hide it in a bunker. I doubt that a system like you suggest will happen with the current group of business friendlies in charge of things. Their model is short sighted. They're shooting themselves in their feet. If there was some agreement that allowed an upfront royalty payment, who'd lose? If there was a model that allowed for a reissue after the work had been out of print, or orphaned, and royalties were paid to either the copyright owners or some vague clearing house that could hold the money in escrow for claimants, who'd get wronged? The answer is obvious. Everyone would benefit. Even the largest of outfits don't have the manpower and resources to go through their vast back catalog and figure out which recordings SHOULD be reissued. With a tiny outfit coming in, footing the production costs, issuing something that is out of print, and generating a new market, it'd be like the big outfit hiring a subcontractor to do work for them. A new market for them. A new revenue stream too. But I'm not holding my breath that lawmakers would force something like this.
Phillip

Now, what I would like to see is a more reasonable copyright system. One idea I've had is, perhaps 35-40 years exclusive copyright on something with perhaps up to 15 years renewal if it remains in print throughout the whole period. If, during the copyright period, something is out of print 5 years or more, another party may pay a royalty and have access to a reasonable facsimile of the master for reissue. I'd even support up-front reissue-rights payment with a smaller royalty paid on each item sold, which would protect copyright owners from fly-by-nights and people with big ideas but small wallets and little common sense. Under this system, it would be in the copyright owner's interest to provide a good quality version to the 3rd party so as to maintain the value of their product even if they themselves don't have it in print for one reason or another. Under this system, no matter what, after that 15 year extension -- max -- the content goes into PD. Big copyright owners will say that doesn't give them enough time to amortize risks, but I say they take few risks these days anyway. This would apply to music, books, movies and other copyright items (including software and games). Now I'll duck as the tomatos fly!

-- Tom Fine